February in Hedgesville and our surroundings can be grey and dreary. We’re all waiting for the return of all of the greenery of spring and summer, but it’s nowhere to be seen yet.
When you look in the mirror at your smile, does it seem kind of the same — grey and a little dreary? Coffee, tea, red wine, and those tasty blueberries you had for breakfast all can conspire to stain your teeth. Even simple aging can make your teeth less bright and white.
Dr. Smith and our team at Dental Arts of Hedgesville can change that. We offer professional teeth whitening treatments that you can do at home. They’ll brighten your teeth a number of shades, and that’ll surely brighten any winter day.
Why are my teeth stained?
Our tooth enamel color is like our skin color — everyone’s is just a little different. Some people have naturally darker enamel, while for others their enamel is more porous and prone to staining. As we age, our enamel thins and begins to show more of the dentin, the tooth layer under the enamel. This is why older people often have teeth that are more yellow.
These are the reasons our teeth become stained:
- Food— Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, soy sauce, even dark chocolates have natural pigments in them that can stain the enamel of your teeth.
- Drink— Coffee, tea, red wine, cranberry and other dark juices, and cola soft drinks all can stain your teeth.
- Cigarettes— Nicotine leaves yellow stains on your teeth.
- Drugs— Heavily used as an antibiotic in the 60s and 70s, tetracycline permanently discolored the teeth of many children. Like fluorosis, this staining is in the dentin layer.
- Genes— The enamel on some people’s teeth is darker than others. Also some people have enamel that is more porous and stains easier.
Our teeth whitening options
At Dental Arts of Hedgesville we offer Opalescence at-home teeth whitening. For this whitening program we start by creating custom trays based off dental impressions. These trays will give you the snug fit that ensures the best application of the peroxide whitening agents. Next we provide the professional-strength gel and explain how to use it. You fill the trays at home and wear them for roughly 30 minutes a day for one to two weeks, depending on the degree of staining on your teeth.
Want a whiter smile come springtime? Call us at Dental Arts of Hedgesville, (304) 754-8803, and ask about our Opalescence teeth whitening.